Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Long Obedience

I recently started studying Kelly Minter's Ruth bible study. I really like the book of Ruth, studied it through the commentary at the bottom of the pages in my bible but I wanted to go deeper with it, and I had done a study of Kelly's a while back and really enjoyed it so I thought I'd try this one as well!

I'm only on the first week of the study but I am really enjoying it. Yesterday's lesson was entitled Long Obedience and I found it to be an enlightening one!

It focused largely on the passage in Ruth where Naomi encourages Orpah and Ruth to return to their people and their gods. Something I didn't notice is that Kelly brought to light was how many times Naomi encouraged them. She did it three times. She was a persistent stinker wasn't she? Finally after that third time did Orpah agree to return to her people, but Ruth stuck to her guns.

She also referred back to Genesis when Joseph's master's wife want to [do the horizontal polka :)] with him. He said no, but she kept persisting......and....he...finally......said no again and stopped even being around her so he wouldn't even have to deal with the temptation. (If you want a refresher read Genesis 39:6b-10)

So, this is a short post, but ponder this for me will you? Are you like Orpah, who says no the first time or two? Or are you like Ruth and Joseph who, because of their love for God, resist the sin that Satan so taunts us with! Stand firm my friends, God has already won this war!!

No comments:

Post a Comment